Ovidrel Prefilled Syringe
Description: Ovidrel® (choriogonadotropin alfa) is a highly purified form of recombinant human chorionic gonadotropin (r-HCG). It is indicated for the induction of final follicle maturity and early luteinization in infertile women who have been pretreated with FSH medications as part of an assisted reproductive technology program (ART). It is also indicated for the induction of ovulation and pregnancy in anovulatory infertile patients in whom the cause of infertility is functional and not due to primary ovarian failure. The premixed, prefilled syringe contains 250 mcg of r-hCG in a 0.5cc solution.
How It Works: Ovidrel is administered as a subcutaneous injection. Ovidrel is used to induce ovulation (the release of an egg/eggs from the ovary) after patient monitoring indicates that sufficient follicle(s) growth has occurred.
Potential Side Effects: Side effects that may occur include: abdominal pain, ovarian enlargement, nausea, vomiting, and injection site reactions (site pain, bruising, inflammation). The risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) should be discussed with your physician prior to treatment. Early warning signs include severe pelvic pain or bloating in the stomach, severe stomachache, nausea, vomiting and weight gain.
If you experience an allergic reaction: difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue or face; or hives; seek emergency medical attention immediately.
PLEASE NOTE: If these or any other side effects occur, contact your physician.
Storage: Store Ovidrel PreFilled Syringe at room temperature for up to 30 days or refrigerate until expiration date.
Subcutaneous Injection Instructions
- Cleanse your selected SUBCUTANEOUS injection site with an alcohol wipe and allow to dry.
- Remove the needle cover, and invert the syringe so the needle is pointing upwards and tap the syringe to force any air bubbles to the top. Depress the plunger to expel the air.
- While holding the syringe with your dominant hand between your dominant hand between your thumb and finger (as you would a pencil), pinch the skin (with your other hand) at the site you have selected.
- With a quick, dart-like motion, insert the entire needle (up to the hub of the syringe) at a 90 or a 45 degree angle and depress the plunger slowly and carefully.
- After the injection is complete, quickly pull out the needle. If bleeding, apply pressure to the injection site with a steril gauze pad. If discomfort occurs after your injection, you may gently massage the injection site to alleviate your discomfort.
- After injecting the medication, dispose of the syringe into the Sharps waste container. It is unnecessary to recap the needle as this could cause injury.